You have no items in your shopping cart.
Characteristics & Notes
Because of the traditional processes involved with the production of these tiles, slight defects such as small edge splinters, colour bleeding/smudging between elements of the pattern and surface scratches are inevitable. Also, due to the fact that all pigment mixes must be used within one hour before the tile starts to set, they can only be prepared in small quantities. Several mixes therefore need to be made several times a day for the same shade. The craftsman compares his wet mix of colours to the dry, clearer mix and adds pigment as necessary. This means that colours are not always absolutely the same, even in the same order.
It is precisely these imperfections which give these tiles their distinct charm and natural appeal. With this in mind, the traditional technique is to ‘shuffle’ the tiles before laying them to ensure an even variation across the whole surface. An alternative is to take tiles at random from several boxes whilst fitting.
Given the traditional characteristic of production, you should allow for some of the tiles to have defects including breakages or chips. There should be very little wastage if care is taken to use these tiles where cut tiles are needed.
** Important ** - Please Read:
The following needs to be taken into consideration when purchasing these tiles:
- This is an artisanal product made by craftsmen using traditional methods. For this reason, every tile will be unique.
- These tiles need to be sealed. The sealant will need to be maintained every 18 -24 months.
- Because they are handmade, the tiles you receive may vary in colour from display tiles viewed at the time of ordering. If exact colour is a concern please let us know before ordering as we are unable to return tiles once they have been despatched.
- If your colour scheme needs to be exact, we recommend that you don’t choose other colours for the rooms in which the tiles will be laid until receiving your order.
- Please order at least 10% extra to allow for wastage (these tiles are transported across Europe by truck so sometimes breakages can occur during transportation. Broken tiles can often be used for areas where a cut tile is needed).
- Tiles that have been damaged or broken in transport and cannot be used will either be replaced or a refund for those tiles will be offered at our discretion, provided that we have been notified within 3 days of delivery (see note 10). Broken tiles should be returned to the showroom for replacements to be made. Please note that the same lead times as note 9 will apply for replacements.
- Once an order is placed it cannot be cancelled as all items including “Stock Items” are imported to order.
- Our delivery ETAs of 5-10 working days for Stock Items and 6-8 weeks for Bespoke Orders are estimates based on experience. Sometimes events outside of our control (national holidays, driver’s strikes etc) can result in delays beyond our estimated delivery dates. Whilst we will do everything we can to minimise any delays, we cannot offer any compensation for disruption resulting from the delay of the supply of our goods, so please bear this in mind when planning your building works.
- Your order should be inspected for any obvious damage and signed for as such at the point of delivery. Please ensure that any packaging is opened so that inspection of the material can be made. Avoid signing as “unchecked” as this may invalidate any future claims and notify us of any issues within 3 days as we are unable to offer replacements after that time.
- Please also inspect the goods for anything that may affect the final appearance before laying them as we cannot process any claims once tiles have been fixed.
- As a result of the production process (see page 3), your tiles may still be damp on arrival. We recommend that they are removed from their boxes and excess humidity allowed to evaporate in a well-aired room before fixing and especially before sealing.